Beach Ultimate Rules
Inc. events use the "4 on 4" Beach Ultimate Rules approved by
the BULA organization.
here for the complete and official BULA 4-on-4 rules]
Spirit of the Game
- The Field -- The field for 4-on-4 BULA Beach
Ultimate is a rectangular area with the dimensions of 50 yards
(46 m) in overall length by 30 yards (27 m) side. Each endzone is 8
yards (7.5 m) deep.
- Start of the game -- The captains of each team
will choose a representative to "Lag" the disc. One
representative of each team will throw the disc from the back of the
end zone, trying to get it closer to the back of the opposite end
zone without the disc going over the line. Both representative throw
the disc at the same time on a count of three. If both disc go over
the line, then the closer to the back line wins the choice of either
starting on offence, or select which endzone to defend.
- Movement of the disc and the players -- The disc
can be thrown from one player to another in any direction. A player
may not run while in possession of the disc.
- Possession -- The person with the disc has 6
seconds to throw the disc to a team mate. The defender guarding the
thrower counts the seconds out loud ("stalling one, two,
- Change of possession -- A turnover results
whenever one of the following items occur:
Upon a turnover the defense immediately takes possession of the disc
and becomes the offense.
- the disc touches the ground (also when knocked down by the
- the disc is caught outside the field
- the disc is intercepted by an opposing player
- the stall count reaches 6 seconds while in possession of the
- Scoring -- A goal, worth 1 point, is scored when
a player throws the disc to a teammate and it is successfully caught
within the confines of the endzone of attack. Two points are scored
when a player throws a completed pass from within their defending
endzone to within their attacking endzone. Play is initiated after
- Initiate Play -- Each new point begins again with
both teams lining up on their respective goal line with the team
that just scored throwing the disc to the other team. All pulls must
be an inverted type throw of the disc (upside down, hammer, scoober,
etc.). When the disc is pulled it shall be at least 91 degrees
(perpendicular) to the ground.
- Non-contact -- Beach Ultimate is a non-contact
sport. A foul occurs when contact is made.
- No Referees -- The sport is self-officiated. All
fouls are called by the player(s) involved. When a foul results in
loss of possession, the play is stopped and resumed as if possession
was not lost. If the player committing the foul disagrees with the
foul call, the play is redone.
The Spirit of the Game is not so much a rule, but an attitude... a way
of playing. It relies upon a spirit of sportsmanship that places the
responsibility for fair play on the players themselves. Highly
competitive play is encouraged, but never at the expense of mutual
respect between players. The Spirit of the Game is one of the
fundamental beliefs of the Beach Ultimate sport. Without it the game
looses it charm. The Spirit must exist!